Thank you so much for being interested in raising money for Khan Academy!
Most people don’t know we are a nonprofit, and we could use your help spreading the word and raising funds to keep Khan Academy going. Our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere is made possible by people like you!
First, please join our Facebook Group, which is exclusively for supporters who are ready to raise funds for Khan Academy. In this group, we’ll be there to cheer you on, to share tips, and to learn together.
How to start a Facebook Fundraiser for Khan Academy
First, go to https://www.facebook.com/fund/khanacademy/ while you are logged in to Facebook.
You should see this screen:
Now, edit the information on the left side of the screen to customize your fundraiser:
1. Set your goal. Facebook’s default goal is $200. We suggest that you set your goal to $200. You can always adjust it throughout the campaign if you make your goal, and you would like to continue raising funds.
2. Set an end date for your campaign. For this campaign, we ask that you set the end date for November 23, 2020.
3. Title your fundraiser. The default title is “[Your first name]’s fundraiser for Khan Academy”. You can keep this or customize it.
4. Explain why you are raising money for Khan Academy. This part is key to a successful campaign! Most friends will be giving to your campaign because of you. In this section, tell a personal story that describes why you are passionate about Khan Academy. Why are you a supporter? How has Khan Academy impacted you or someone you love?
- Sample text:
- Please join me in supporting Khan Academy, a nonprofit with the mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere! I am raising money for Khan Academy because they have helped me and my family keep learning. During school closures, demand for their free education resources has spiked, and they need our help to make sure that students, parents, and teachers have what they need to succeed. Your contribution will make an impact, whether you donate $5 or $500. Just $1 equals 3 hours of learning. Every little bit helps. Thank you for your support!
5. Select a cover photo. You can choose from Khan Academy’s photos for your fundraiser cover photo or go with the default one.
6. Click Create. Your fundraiser is now live!
7. Make the first gift! Giving the first gift helps friends and family see how passionate you are. Keep in mind that the first gift can influence how much others will be motivated to give. If you give $5 dollars, you are more likely to get $5 gifts. If you give $50, you are more likely to get higher gifts. Of course, only give what feels comfortable to you. Anything you raise, including awareness about Khan Academy, is helpful!
8. Invite friends to your fundraiser. You’ll be presented with a list of your Facebook friends. Click “Invite” next to the friends that you would like to notify about the Fundraiser. They will receive a notification from Facebook.
Best Practices When Running a Fundraiser
During the run of your campaign, share posts about your fundraiser. Don’t be afraid to ask for donations. People often need a nudge or a reminder. Aim for at least 3 posts over the course of your fundraiser. Here are some good milestones:
- Launching your fundraiser to get it off to a great start!
- When you are two-thirds of the way to your goal. As you get closer to your goal people are more encouraged to help you reach it.
- When you only have a few days left.
- One last call as you close your fundraiser.
Other helpful tips:
- Encourage friends to share your fundraiser, especially if they have donated!
- Engage with your friends when they donate. Like and comment on their posts. Tag your friends who have donated on posts about the fundraiser. This is a nice act of recognition that will also share their participation with their Facebook network. All that really helps!
- Don’t forget that you can email and text folks too. It’s another great way to get people engaged.
- Thank everyone who donated. Post on your wall, and send individual messages to donors throughout the campaign.
- Help me support @khanacademy, a nonprofit providing a free, world-class education to over 100 million learners and growing. Learning never stops, and Khan Academy needs us to keep going! Just $1 = 3 learning hours.
- I am a supporter of @khanacademy and use it all the time! It’s amazing and it’s FREE! I hope that you can join me by donating to my fundraiser today.
- I’m excited to support @khanacademy this year. I’m passionate about their mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We know that students are facing obstacles right now and will have learning losses. Let’s continue to keep everyone learning!
- I am so close to my goal of $200 (Or whatever your goal is). Can you help me reach it?
- A big thank you to those who have already donated to my fundraiser for Khan Academy! Your support will go to helping people around the globe now and for years to come. If you would like to join in, please give today!