A project was recently completed to address the issue of students and coaches seeing inconsistent Activity Times in their respective reports. We found that the way that Activity Time was being counted wasn't always the same when shown to teachers and students (in addition to various technical issues which were causing numbers to be incorrect), and that communication of the feature wasn't always clear.
You can find a complete (and much more readable - with screenshots) description of what Activity Time now measures throughout the site here, and the complete list of product changes from this project are below:
* We updated the coach report email to match the Student Progress tab
* We counted CS work as part of "CS Challenge"
* We added explanation text with links to the Help Center
* We improved how Time Active handles session length
* We tweaked Coach's Activity View labels for clarity
* We fixed discrepancies between coach reports and class activity summary emails
* We corrected cases where time less than 1 minute was showing as 0, it will now show as < 1 minute
* We made a number of improvements to how we were storing activity time
I didn't work directly on this project but if you have specific questions about any of this I'll do my best to get them answered. This is something we really hope will be a big help for teachers and coaches (reports about Activity Time have been a consistent issue for a while, and it was tricky to find all the bugs), so please let us know if you come across any additional issues or possible improvements.
Thanks everyone who wrote in about this part of Coach Reports, and also for your patience as we worked on fixing it!