Khan Academy appreciates the public support and interest in its mission and services. Because the reputation underlying its brands and trademarks is extremely important, Khan Academy must take certain steps to protect these marks and materials. Khan Academy offers the following guidelines for those who wish to use or reference these trademarks or materials.
Khan Academy materials include but are not limited to its website and videos. Use or usage includes but is not limited to other websites, mobile websites, devices, portals, apps, as well as the API.
You may use Khan Academy trademarks or materials subject to the guidelines below and in accordance with Khan Academy’s general terms and conditions, located at www.khanacademy.org/about/tos.
If you have any questions regarding these policies, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The KHAN ACADEMY® word mark and design logo:
Permitted Use of Marks
You may make fair use of the KHAN ACADEMY® wordmark to make true, factual statements about Khan Academy or to discuss or critique Khan Academy. Permissible fair uses of the KHAN ACADEMY® word mark include accurate statements such as:
- The linked KHAN ACADEMY® video lecture explains . . . ; and
- The KHAN ACADEMY® website is located at www.khanacademy.org
Prohibited Use of Marks
Unless you have explicit written permission to do so, you should NOT:
- Display or otherwise use the Khan Academy Trademarks in a manner likely to lead others to believe that you are in any way associated with, endorsed by, or affiliated with Khan Academy.
- Stretch, distort, alter, rearrange, recolor, combine, or otherwise manipulate Khan Academy design logos or the KHAN ACADEMY® wordmark.
- In any way state or imply that Khan Academy produces, endorses, or supports you or any of your products or services.
- Display any Khan Academy Trademarks in connection with your own trademarks.
- Use Khan Academy trademarks in the naming or promotion of an app or other services, nor may organizations combine their brands with Khan Academy to create a new brand (e.g., "Khan EduCo Academy"). Instead use the following language: "Viewer for Khan Academy". This makes it clear that the offering is not from nor supported by Khan Academy.
Permitted Use of Materials
- An organization may provide a link to the www.khanacademy.org site or a page starting with www.khanacademy.org.
- An organization may also embed a video into a site, with the linking URL via Khan Academy’s embeddable player.
- Usage of materials must adhere to our Creative Commons (CC-by-NC-SA) Licensing and Terms of Service, in particular, the attribution and non-commercial clauses.
Attribution: Per our license, you must attribute the material to Khan Academy, but not in any way that suggests that Khan Academy directly endorses you or your use of the materials. Please include a link to www.khanacademy.org and the following verbiage:
"Note: All Khan Academy content is available for free at www.khanacademy.org".
In addition, where Khan Academy materials are incorporated into a service that requires login for the service, the notification must be provided prior to login that all Khan Academy materials are available for free at www.khanacademy.org.
Non-commercial: Khan Academy defines “non-commercial” as any use that is not directly intended to generate sales or profits or any other commercial advantage for the user. Here are a few examples:
- Advertisements on a website are considered commercial. It is also considered commercial for a third party to use Khan Academy in advertising or marketing for their services or products.
- The use of our content by a for-profit corporation for internal professional development and/or training of its employees is “non-commercial” as long as that corporation does not charge its employees for such use.
- The use of our content by an organization that is incorporating it into a paid offering is NOT "non-commercial"
- For mobile apps or other similar use cases, the title and/or description should clearly indicate it is unofficial; if there is a "contact us” section, the developer(s) should be listed for technical issues.
Prohibited Use of Materials
You agree not to link or embed Khan Academy’s site or materials in any manner such that the site or materials are “framed,” surrounded, or obfuscated by any third party content, materials, or branding (e.g., banner ads or putting Khan Academy materials behind a paid login wall is commercial). We may require that any link to or embedding of Khan Academy materials be discontinued and may revoke your right to link to the sites from any other web site at any time.